Chair: Crystal Morphis
NCEDA’s role as “The Voice of Economic Development” is informed and energized by the work of the Research Committee. As a “think tank” for the state’s economic development community, the committee delivers valuable information via blogs, research projects, case studies and best practices, catalyzing NCEDA’s mission as an economic development thought leader.
At NCEDA’s 2018 Annual Conference, members were invited to provide input on research topics. Examples included equity, leadership, the tier system, the rural/urban divide, North Carolina’s competitiveness, performance metrics, ROI, infrastructure needs, education funding, placemaking, housing, marketing trends, and transportation. Ted Abernathy and Crystal Morphis gave a presentation on the gig economy as one example of the type of work the committee intended to tackle.
The Research Committee aims to raise NCEDA’s profile in state and national policymaking circles. Leading-edge research and information can launch important conversations and positively influence the economic development process and profession.
NCEDA members are encouraged to contact Crystal Morphis with research topics they would like the committee to explore.
2021 NC Salary Survey
NCEDA Blog Series
The NCEDA Research Committee will produce several blogs each year as an educational tool for members.
- Equitable Economic Development Blog, written by Michael Haley with Wake County Economic Development (posted 01.11.19)
- Housing Gap Blog, written by Alan Wood with Burke Development Inc. (posted 03.06.19)
- Leadership Blog, written by Ted Abernathy with Economic Leadership (posted 06.09.19)
- Healthcare Blog, written by Stephanie McGarrah with North Carolina Area Health Education Centers (posted 10.25.19)
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Blog Series
- Standing Firmly Against Discrimination: A Business Imperative for North Carolina’s Job Creators, written by Gary Salamido with the NC Chamber (posted 09.30.20)
- What it Means for Site Selection, written by Bob Hess with Newmark Knight Frank Chicago (posted 11.17.20)
- Advancing Racial Equity and Economic Development in Asheville, written by Sam Powers with the City of Asheville (posted 02.19.21)
- First in Talent Blog, written by Jeff DeBellis with NC Commerce (posted 09.02.21)
- People or Places Blog, written by Ted Abernathy with Economic Leadership (posted 10.15.21)